June 9, 2014

"Grave of the Fireflies" Two siblings who lost everything because of war.

Movie Score (8.40)
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★☆  

Grave of the Fireflies is the most serious and sullen of Ghibli’s movies. The movie even begins with Seita, the older boy, explaining about the day that he died. The movie follows the last few weeks in the lives of Seita and Setsuko before their untimely deaths in WWII Japan. 
 
Aired : 1988
Rating  : PG 13
Run time : 88 minutes
Genre : Slice of Life, Drama, Historical, Studio Ghibli

Fast Review :
  • Art  : 80
  • Story  : 90
  • Characters  : 85
  • Enjoyment  : 80
Recommended if you like :
  •  To Cry +
  •  Survival +
  •  Sad Stories +
Not Recommended if you don't like :
  • Sad Stories -
  • Annoying Sibling -
  • Tear Jerking Movies -



My Thoughts & Expressions 

I don't really like Outdated Movies, I am very picky about Art Quality and Animations. But since many of my friends recommended this to me saying I would love it since I really liked Clannad-AfterStory. Which was the only Anime to make me feel really sad. (Yes I love watching tear-jerkers). I didn't think twice watching it after them saying that. It was a great movie overall, Watching both Seita and Setsuko's as they both struggle the hardships of life and to survive throughout the movie. You will see the hardships of people who are victims of war. You'll just think to yourself that you want to be a President someday so you can end this war and make peace to everyone. LOL. I will admit that I nearly cried at the end. So I recommend this "Cry of the Fireflies" to everyone who loves slice of life and sad stories, Don't mind the graphics and just sit there and watch it. I'm telling You that You won't regret it.



~~

Story  :  90

The movie is mainly about how the life of Seita and his sister Setsuko seriously went down to hell beginning from loss of their home and mother in a bombing raid, or maybe I should say they've been living in the hell since then. Studio Ghibli has an excellent touch with the characters. It seems everyone's response to everyone is so very natural, like it is how it should be. That's why the tragedy it led to is a true tragedy of the warand of our world


 ~~

 Characters  : 85

There are no heroes in this film, and there are no villains. Sata and Setsico are no heroes; the only heroic things they do throughout the movie are love and take care of one another. And, their aunt, although harsh and unfair, is no villain. At the same time neither side of the war, American or Japanese, is portrayed in a negative light.

This is not a war movie and doesn't exist to condemn one side or the other. This is a movie about two orphan children trying to survive while the society they grew up in crumbles to dust around them.

 ~~

Art & Animation  : 80

Animation-wise, I have to say I’m impressed. Considering the year the movie was made, you’d think the animation would be of low quality, compared to present anime. It’s actually beautifully made, with wonderful watercolor backgrounds and relatively detailed drawings.


I can’t help but think that this movie might have been enhanced or something like that in all these years, but I still think it’s impressive nonetheless.

~~

 Enjoyment  80

I really enjoyed the movie. Even though it was a really sad movie, there are still moments of happiness. I also enjoyed it because it has given me a realistic portrayal of the reality.


What I enjoyed the most is that this movie gave me a wake up call that there many people who are less fortunate than I am. And because of that, I should try to help those people and not turn a blind eye. It also made me think of how lucky I am that I have this life and did not experience those hardships. I will not want other people to experience that kind of hardships.









~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~Shikarin

No comments:

Post a Comment